Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Trick to tell when a website was last updated

Some of you might find this useful... I certainly do when I want to check how up-to-date a website is.

Put this in the URL bar at the top, and hit enter:
javascript:alert(document.lastModified)
This will tell you the date and time (Greenwich Mean Time) the site was last updated.

This is nice when you're citing online sources and you need the date the site content was last changed, or if you simply want to know if a site's content is likely to be relevant today.

Comment if you find this helpful :]

3 comments:

  1. Try websitelastupdated.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This did not work for me. I'm using Foxfire & this was the message I received:

    Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (javjavascript) isn't associated with any program.

    Drat! I was hoping I could find something that would help me! What browser are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm using chrome. It's just about running the javascript code "alert(document.lastModified)" somewhere - maybe try putting that directly, or putting that in the firebug console.

    ReplyDelete

Please be considerate in what you say.