Sunday, June 12, 2011

Awards. Superficial?

Society has a clever way of motivating people. It has this concept called the "award," and it dates back to ages ago (because the Greeks and Romans certainly held contests and rewarded winners).

But have you ever saw through the whole affair? Have you ever gotten tired of them? Casting aside all pretension, I've gone to many, and over the years, they have become dry and dull. Yes, awards are great, but maybe the countless times I've sensed unjustness have led me to simply grow bored of them. People do not necessarily win things deservingly. For many awards, voting is a large factor and by consequence popularity as well.

Even, in my case, when I claimed the top through legitimate hard work, as I did in a few math contests, I gradually gained a feeling of "who cares?" It's all part of society's game to improve you.... which is of course good and noble and blablabla but the entire affair of praise, fame, etc. taints all value. Even when I won, I found myself shrugging with a mild grin on my face.

I've really come to treasure intrinsic value. This is when I feel real accomplishment. Think of the people who invented the internet. Oh, that's right, you CAN'T. It's not even clear to me who invented the internet... yet this invention is clearly one of the momentous in human history. The internet is responsible for millions of businesses, for creativity to outlet in infinite forms, for connecting society in a whole new way. Yet we don't know who the inventors of the internet are. Sure, go ahead, Google the answer. You'll come across a name, or several, but the fact of the matter is you probably didn't know these people before. Fame and praise had alluded them... but the intrinsic value of their achievement is paramount.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate in what you say.